Cottage or Seasonal Property
Most cottage/seasonal properties are not properly insured and most owners are not even aware of it. Did you know that many policies exclude the most common occurrences like vandalism, theft, or collapse due to snow load!? Others do not pay full replacement value for personal property.
At Hunt & Dopson, we advise our clients to avoid "coverage surprise" by considering the following:
- Comprehensive coverage on building and contents
- Replacement cost on contents
- Separate insurance for boats over $1,000 in value
- Proper insurance for boathouses, bunkies, and detached garages
- Enough insurance to rebuild the dwelling (brand new) in the event of total loss
- If ownership is shared with a family member or friend, make sure both names appear on the insurance policy
- If you frequently rent the cottage, make sure your insurance company is aware
If you are unsure about your cottage insurance or if you have questions, please call our cottage experts at Hunt & Dopson to talk to someone who understands the special needs of cottagers.
How can I reduce the cost of my cottage insurance?
- Make sure you are receiving all the discounts you are entitled to including mature citizen, non-smoker and claim free
- Insure your cottage with the same company that insures your home and auto to qualify you for a multi-policy discount
- Increase your deductible to $1,000